Monday 5 December 2016

How I paint... Volksgrenadiers

Since coming back to the hobby a few years ago I have been both awe inspired and slightly intimidated by the standard of some figure painters out there. I have tried to change my technique, desperate to emulate that smooth, clean and punchy style I see on modelling forums and websites (and the back of the boxes) but it just ain't happening. In the same way that Usain Bolt is better than me at running, I guess there will always be those who are better at painting. I do what I can.

In spite of buying an expensive set of Foundry acrylics a while back I just can't get to grips with them. I use enamels and white spirit, hence the tired brushes. Chalky drybrushing still works for me! So here it is, I'm laying bare my rather shabby efforts at some @WarlordGames Volksgrenadiers. This is the last guy on the bench from the squad of ten metal figures.


Not painted by me (but a very nice job!)


The first stage is to paint his head. I always do that first because then I feel that he has a personality, as well as eyes that somehow seem just a bit too big. 

1. Black undercoat, then a flesh tone and some light brown wash.
2. Dark wine lips and biiiiiig white eyes.
3. Over paint to reduce the biiiiig white eyes and stick in a pupil.
4. Muck about a bit with lighter flesh tones on nose and cheeks, or a 5 o'clock shadow or such like.
5. Grey cap, pick out eagle and buttons in black.
6. Highlights on cap. White eagle and silver buttons.


I always undercoat in black, as I often line out with black later, so it can save me a bit of work. This guy will be in splinter pattern camo,  so I use a fairly light stone colour as a base, otherwise I find the pattern can get lost at 28mm.


Next stage is applying the pattern. Mid brown geometric sort of random shapes, with some leaf green infilling and the best effort I can manage with the 'rain' overprint. These are just very thin green lines, which need a steady hand.
Trousers get a general smudging of gray.


Belts, webbing and equipment get blocked in with black. Over brush the trousers with a lighter gray (which isn't really showing in my photos).


Start detailing the belts, webbing and equipment. His arm with the MG42 is somewhere getting the same treatment during all of this.


If you want to get ahead, get a head. Glue on his head. More detailing, highlights, tidying up, etc.
Not quite finished yet!


Complete!

A Mötley Crüe indeed...well, half of them anyway.
And the other half. Sadly I got a doubler in the pack.


No comments:

Post a Comment